During the summer of 2013, I had lens replacements in both eyes due to cataracts. Because I’d worn corrective lenses of some form or fashion for almost fifty years, my husband encouraged me to get the special lens that would correct both my near and far sighted vision. I must say, it’s been great not to wear glasses or contacts anymore.
However, in order to see well and be able to read, I must have light – and good, bright light at that! Dark restaurants and rooms are not my friends. It’s like having sheer curtains pulled over my eyes, making things blurry and out of focus. But that is remedied using my trusty flashlight that I carry in my purse. One click, and the LED light brings immediate clarity. You do what you must do; the tradeoff is certainly worth it to me.
Jesus Christ proclaimed Himself to be the Light of the world. He knew without His light shining, everyone would walk in darkness, unable to see clearly where they were going or what they were doing. Decision making would be obscured; the truth would be vague and unclear. Daily life would be dim and dreary.
The book of John has much to say about Jesus being the Light. In addition to our theme verse above, we discover these truths from John:
- Christ’s life is the Light of all mankind (1:4)
- The Light shines in the darkness and the darkness doesn’t overcome it (1:5)
- The true Light enlightens every person (1:9)
- The Light has come into the world (3:19)
- Everyone who does evil hates the Light and fears being exposed (3:20)
- Those who practice the truth come to the Light (3:21)
- Walk while you have the Light, so darkness won’t overtake you (12:35)
- Trust in the Light and you will become children of the Light (12:36)
- Jesus came as the Light so that those who believe would not remain in darkness (12:46)
Just as my eyes need light to see, so my soul needs the Light of Jesus to see my way in this world. The Bible has much to say about the Light. Take time to gaze upon and comprehend the additional verses listed below. They will brighten your day for sure!
[Digging deeper – Psalm 18:28, 27:1, 43:3, 112:4, 119:105; 2 Corinthians 4:6; Ephesians 5:8-9; 1 John 1:5,7; 1 John 2:8-10; Revelation 22:5]
Longing for the Light,
Photo Credit: Image courtesy of kibsri at FreeDigitalPhotos.net